Ethos and Vision
As a small rural primary school we strive to cater for the needs of all members of our school community (children, parents, staff, Governors) and the wider village community in a caring supportive ethos. We seek to provide an education that is underpinned by values of a sense of community, an understanding of local and global diversity and compassion in our behaviour to each other. We firmly believe that strong links between the different members of our community provides us with the best possible opportunity to succeed.
We believe that the following values should underpin our work; Love and compassion; justice; equality; service and stewardship; peace and forgiveness; generosity and thankfulness.
We ensure that all of our learners are given opportunity to strive for personal excellence whilst supporting the needs and feelings of those around them. We believe that every child has the potential to succeed, and that as a school we will strive to identify the areas of potential for each individual member of our community. In order for that potential to be achieved we will provide an environment in which members of our community are happy, safe, comfortable, motivated and valued. Only then can learning flourish.
We will ensure that, through our teaching, members of our community will be taught the skills required to learn independently. Members of our community will be given the opportunity to identify their own learning preferences and to work using them. They will be empowered to think creatively to solve problems.
As a school we value what each member of our community can bring to each other and the school as a whole. We value the contribution that all can make in terms of nurturing confidence, friendships and social interaction. We will ensure that everyone in our school is encouraged to develop their sense of responsibility to the communities that they are part of.
Our vision at Buckminster Primary School is based upon the following:
- In a community-based learning environment, involving pupils, parents, family and the local community where the values of care, equity and achievement for all are paramount.
Learning about the World
- To ensure our children have an understanding of the wider world including the life experiences of others outside their own community in order to support their tolerance, respect and understanding of the world and its people.
- To be a sustainable school where we consider the environmental impact of the processes which we use to be develop an understanding in our children of ways to support the care of the environment.
Learning for the Future
We accept that many of the jobs which our pupils will undertake are unlikely to exist yet. As such, we will equip our pupils with fundamental learning skills enabling them to:
- Have a secure knowledge of their own learning styles and needs.
- Have an ability to take ownership of their learning, and to identify ways of reaching their own targets, goals and aspirations.
- Have a strong understanding of how to ensure their own physical and emotional health, and to support others around them in doing the same.
- Have an understanding of how being a member of a successful, collaborative community can enhance chances of success.
- Utilise technologies to support the learning and teaching processes, striving to be innovative in their use.
In order that our children will show 'the 5 R's of being Respectful, Responsible, Reflective, Resilient and Resourceful'.
We achieve by being respectful, reflective,
resourceful, responsible and resilient
We are respectful:
Towards others no matter who they are
We are reflective:
We reflect on our abilities and achievements and become critical thinkers
We are resourceful:
We develop the ability to find quick and effective ways to overcome difficulties
We are responsible:
We take responsibility for our actions and our learning characteristics
We are resilient:
We strive to be able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions and situations.